Monday, March 20, 2006

Before a serious confrontation ...

I have got the book: Crucial Confrontation!

It is really a great book. After reading it, I learned a very valuable lesson on how to deal with confrontation - in a better way.

But, first things first, I have to work on myself first:

  1. Am I the problem?
  2. What is the real problem? Am I dealing with the signal or the right problem?
  3. Why should I confront? Is it a high-stake "must"?

It also highlights that, we should open our mouth when we have the following signs:

  1. You're acting out your feelings
  2. Your conscience is nagging you
  3. You're downplaying the cost of not taking action while exaggerating the dangers of speaking up
  4. You figure that nothing you do will help

Recently, there is one incidence where a sales person inform the technical personel late enough to come out with a proposal to be submitted to a client. I was the last person informed although I am to provide the cost for the project management services. For me to come out with the cost, I need to work on the schedule given by the technical lead. After I have the schedule, I need to review the technical lead's proposal write-up. For this last minute notification, I was so angry and told the sales person coldly, "I will work with the technical lead, but why you inform me so late? Tomorrow is the due date, and you inform me as the last person ..." But, the sales person raised her voice and asked me to forget about the redtapes, and better get started to work on the costing and schedule ... At that time, I was really angry ....

So, after I put down the phone, I did all the things and finally the proposal due date was postponed. Because, the sales person herself said that she was so busy and cannot work on the proposal. Anyway, my obligation is done. But, should I confront her? If yes, what is the real problem?

  1. Am I angry because of the fact that she is not respecting us?
  2. Am I angry because I don't have sufficient time to complete the work within normal office hours?
  3. Am I angry because she was instructing me to do my work?

Now, I am still thinking ... am I creating imagination for above issues? Am I finding excuses to confront her?

Finally .... my decision is ... let me finish the whole book first before I decide :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have told her no to her face. Now, since she did this, then there's definitely no next time for her.

This is where you have to use the system, your manager, and processes (common sense) to fight back against idiocy like that.

Your company is one where the Sales department has taken control and is going to ruin the company and its people. I was in a similar situation and the client delivery team (PMs) and the client service team (maintenance and operations) had a revolt against the sales team and won. It can be done :-)!

Remember, you're the PM, without you, nothing happens! ;-)

Kam Yen Cheah said...

Yeah, Lui, I agree that to say "no" seems the right thing to do, but after analysing the root issues, I decided to go for a harmony solution after I think further before I open my mouth:

1. She is the last person to review everything on the proposal and price quoted. (Initially, I assume I am the last person to work on the things, and she is sitting there and just make a few follow-up calls to me ..)

2. She is also pressured by the client to show effectiveness and efficiency in getting the team to respond to the request (to us, it may be unrealistic expectation, to customer, it may be a test on our keeness on the deal ...)

:-)

Anonymous said...

Blah! By adopting the "harmony" solution, you're only rewarding and encouraging wrong behavior (i.e. her inability to time manage her sales process).

If you want to continue being abused, adopt the "harmony" solution which I guarantee you will be short term. You'll continue to suffer long term.

You're going to have to pro-actively manage the sales people. Know the sales pipeline and insist that you or your PM team be involved either as a Sales Engineer or as a Technical Lead partner.

Also, if you follow the PMBOK, this "harmony" solution is one of the worst solutions to adopt! Don't excuse her unprofessionalism!

Kam Yen Cheah said...

I agree that to have PM involved in the pre-sale stage is a very good approach. However, the organization structure now is being changed to suite the process. But, to be honest, before the "right" organization structure to be ready, we have to deal with the roles and responsibilities with some minor mess here ... We have to even deal with the very basic issues in the meantime while the transition is taking place:

1. Who is responsible for the total workability of the solution?

2. Who is responsible for the "professional" quality of the proposal to be submitted?

3. Who is responsible for the realistic high-level schedule?

4. Who is responsible for the cash flow and payment milestones design at high-level?

5. Who is responsible for collecting all the risks related to the cost (including the contingency for penalty)?

These are just a snapshot of the things to be decided. But, most of the components (work packages) are provided by different technical teams, divisions and subcontractors. Therefore, even there is a Solution Architect role, but is he/she responsible for the above as solution? Or should it be PM who is responsible for the success of the project to be responsible for the above? The issue may be expanded when we are providing a 3rd party solution that involve new business partners, everyone is busy with handling Uncertainties ... but, to the customer, that is not their problem - but, to us as a team (including the sales), we have to deal with these things as a team - for the bigger objective - to win the deal - and be a team - to deal with internal conflicts as a team (the "harmony" way) ...

Looking at the issues from the perspective of the ultimate objective - to win the business ... my "little" human problems become smaller ... compared to the stake in hand ... so ... it is not trying to downplay the cost of not speaking up ... but trying to choose the right "ground" for speaking it out in the "harmony" way :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, all issues. But none that capture the point.

However, depending on how you wish to contribute to a solution, you'll still need to be proactive and direct. Harmony solves nothing except perpetuate confusion.

A solution to this predicament was going to be a program I was originally intending to deliver on behalf of atSC but that never materialized. In any event, I wish you luck. Have enough bullets, if you don't, duck :)

Converting a Physical Linux to Virtual

Hmm ... I have done a lot of work on my Linux Lubuntu 15.10 with PHP and PostgreSQL and a few other things ... it is quite time-consuming to...